- Diploma Forms
- Registration Forms
- Student Records Forms
- Catalog Declaration
- Certification of Enrollment
- Certification of Enrollment Submission Dates & Letter of Explanation
- Completion of Subsequent Credential
- Confidentiality Request
- Permission to Release Educational Records
- Transcript Request
- Transcript Release Form
- Transfer Course Equivalency Petition
- Undergraduate Certificate Declaration
- Undergraduate Change of Academic Program
- Undergraduate Planned Educational Leave
- Additional Forms
- Video Tutorials
- Grading Videos
- Graduation Videos
- MyDegrees for Advisors
- Registration Videos
- Other Videos
- Catalog Policy
Guidelines for Release of Information
What, if anything, can I release?
The following steps provide a simple means to determine what information may be released. Release of any information other than that listed in Step 3 may have serious legal implications. If you receive a request for information other than what is covered in these steps, refer the inquirer to the Registrar's Office. Refer ALL inquiries under the USA PATRIOT Act to the Registrar's Office.
All access and use at Oregon State University of the Social Security Number is prohibited except for meeting federal or state requirements, compliance and reporting.
You may copy these guidelines as needed, or request additional copies from the Registrar's Office. We suggest that you keep a copy by your telephone for ready reference.
Check the confidentiality of the student's records. Has the student restricted the release of all information?
- Look at the grade roster or class roster. If a student's record is confidential you will see a dash before the student's name.
- Sign on to Banner and go to SGASTDN or SGASTDQ or SPAIDEN. Enter the student's ID number. If this student's information is confidential, Banner will show *CONFIDENTIAL* in the upper left portion of the form. You also can see this on SAAADMS, SFAREGS, SFASRPO, SHATERM, SPAPERS, and other forms that access the student's record.
- If you do not have access to Banner, ask someone who has access to check the student's record for you, or call the Registrar's Office for help, 541-737-4048.
If the student's record is CONFIDENTIAL, you must respond to the inquiry in a way that does not acknowledge the student's existence on campus. An example, "There is no information available on that person." If the person inquiring persists, you might suggest that they ask the student in question to contact the Registrar's Office directly, or refer the caller to the Registrar's Office.
If the student's records are NOT confidential, then determine what information about the student is being requested. Oregon State University will provide only the following Directory Information to all inquiries without students' written consent. Non-directory Information may not be released without written consent.
If anything other than the above information is requested the request should be denied. Refer all inquiries from law enforcement officials directly to the Registrar's Office. If there are other unusual and extraordinary circumstances, refer the request to:
NO information may be released about students who have established confidentiality of their records.